Housing Department

The housing department provides many programs and services for Venango County residents. They can assist with minor home modifications, rent assistance, shelter, and emergency solutions grants. The Department of Energy annually determines the crisis season which typically runs from November through April. The housing department also assists residents with furnace repairs to ensure they have a properly running heating source.

LL TA Assistance Post


This program is intended for households that lose their primary heat source due to furnace malfunction. Individuals/families must live in Venango County and have an annual income at or below 150% of the Federal poverty level. Crisis season runs from November to April each year. Venango County receives all referrals for this program directly from the County Assistance Office. For additional information please call 814-437-4741.


  • Light carpentry repair with an emphasis on health and safety
  • Must be open with Human Services with the exception of families with children, but must be approved by CYS Supervisor
  • Please contact your assigned Service Coordinator.

Rental Assistance

Housing Assistance Various Programs (HAP) are available for this type of assistance with varying requirements.

Eligible uses range from first month rent with minimal requirements such as poverty levels, to additional assistance programs where the client receives additional assistance, but involves developing a family plan / goal. For eligibility guidelines, please contact 814-432-9767.

Emergency Shelter

Venango Temporary Emergency County Housing (VTECH)

The programs eligible use is temporary or emergency short term shelter for the Homeless. VTECH lodging is provided through Sugar Valley Lodge and applicants must have an open case through Human Services. Please contact 814-432-9100 for additional information.

Elk Street Shelter

  • Shelter for homeless families
  • Maximum of six week stay coordinated through Protective Intake Crisis Unit (PICU) at Human Services
  • Phone: 814-432-9100

CoC - Permanent Supportive Housing

  • Rental assistance for those with a mental, physical or substance abuse disability
  • Families or individuals must be homeless and consumer will pay 30% of their income to rent.
  • More information is available by calling 814-432-9767.

Emergency Solutions Grant

  • Rental, utility, security deposit assistance
  • Life skills coaching

Please contact 814-432-9767 for eligibility requirements.

Other Community Supports

Community Services of Venango County manages a Permanent Supportive Housing Program (SHP).

If you do not qualify for our programs, you can refer to the USDA for additional home repair programs.

USDA Grant

  • For residents ages 60 or older
  • To be used for repairs
  • Up to $7500 grant


  • For residents under the age of 60
  • For repairs
  • 1% or 2% loans

Contact the USDA

Rural Development Website
226 Donohoe Road, Suite 201
Greensburg, PA 15601
Phone: 724-853-5555